Moving abroad with confidence

This article provides an overview of some areas that your clients should consider before moving from the UK.
man with headphones

Deemed Domicile & Excluded Property Trusts

This article discusses the concept of deemed domicile and explains why due to recent government proposals, it may be advisable to consider an excluded property trust sooner rather than later.
St Pauls

Understanding UK domicile

This article explains the concept of UK domicile and the number of different ways UK domicile can be acquired.
coloured housing

Excluded property trust

This article explains the importance of using excluded property trust in the UK inheritance tax planning for non-UK domiciles living or planning to live in the UK.
Flower house

UK residential property and the international investor

Nobody knows the prospects for UK residential property in 2016 and beyond, but as the graph shows below, prices have been subject to considerable fluctuations in the last 10 years.
people around desk

Abolishing permanency of non-dom status

HM Treasury have issued proposals on how legislation should best be introduced in Finance Bill 2016 to restrict certain individuals from claiming non-dom status for tax purposes. Consultation is open 30 Sept -11 Nov 2015.
Planning for Non UK Domiciles - using your tax allowances

Planning for Non UK Domiciles - using your tax allowances

The following case study illustrates a typical Inheritance Tax (IHT) planning issue for UK domiciled clients along with potential solutions. A full fact find would need to be completed to assess suitability of the potential solutions by the adviser. The solutions are based on exemptions and allowances available under the rules in force at the date of this article for the tax year 2015/16.
Modern building

Property, CGT and PRR for the International Investor

Subject to certain reliefs and allowances, UK residents are liable to Capital Gains Tax (CGT) when they sell capital assets (including property), whether these are situated in the UK or overseas.
Junk boat

Split year treatment – the detail

Under the UK statutory residency test, you are either UK resident or non-UK resident for a full tax year and at all times for that tax year. If, however, during the year you either leave the UK to live or work abroad, or come from abroad to live or work in the UK, you may be eligible for the tax year to be split into two parts.
Open book

Obtaining a domicile ruling before death

UK HMRC rarely provide rulings until they become relevant for tax purposes. However, a guidance note was issued by HMRC (HMRC Brief 34/2010) which details the circumstances in which an individual’s domicile will be considered for IHT.

Financial Adviser Verification

The content of this site is for advisers only. It is not for the use of Hong Kong advisers. You can change the regional content by selecting a region from the drop down box in the top right-hand corner.